Source: Tanjug | Tuesday, 11.08.2020.| 10:08
Highlight an article Print out the news

Toshiba to Stop Producing Laptops After 35 Years

Illustration (Photo: Pixabay / StartupStockPhotos)
Toshiba has quietly closed down its portable computer department, putting an end to this chapter of its operations after 35 years.

Two years ago, the company sold an 80.1% share in the production of PCs to Sharp for USD 36 million, following which Sharp renamed it as Dynabook. The acquisition was finalized after the remaining 19.9% shares changed ownership too.

– The result of this transfer is full ownership of Dynabook, which is now entirely owned by Sharp – Toshiba said, as reported by

Toshiba's first laptops, back in 1985, had then powerful T1100 replaceable batteries, a floppy disk slot and 256 KB of memory. In the mid-80s, the device cost around USD 2,000.

In the 1990s and the early 2000s, Toshiba was at its peak, but as new players entered the market, their limited offer caused its popularity to drop. At the moment it sold its division to Sharp, Toshiba was selling 1.4 million laptops a year, and in 2011 it sold 17.1 million devices, Reuters writes.
Only logged-in users can comment.
Follow the news, tenders, grants, legal regulations and reports on our portal.
Testiraj besplatno!
Register for our daily business bulletin, which is sent to your email address at the end of each work day.
Full information is available only to commercial users-subscribers and it is necessary to log in.
Test for free!
Testiraj besplatno!
Full information is available to commercial users-subscribers only.
Testiraj besplatno!

Log in to view complete information:
Forgot your password? Click here HERE
For free test use, click HERE