Source: eKapija | Thursday, 03.10.2013.| 15:55
Highlight an article Print out the news

Medieval fortress to become tourist attraction – the Golubac fortress to get an amphitheatre, visitor center, restaurants and swimming pool

Future look of the Golubac fortress

Although the reconstruction of the Golubac fortress has been a topic for years, citizens will soon see the beginning of the rehabilitation of the medieval fortress at the entrance of the Djerdap gauge. The Mayor of the Golubac municipality, Zoran Pajkic, in his interview for eKapija, says that the location permit has been obtained and that the Feasibility Study was positively evaluated in Brussels and that the revision end is expected in the next ten days.

After obtaining a construction permit, tender for the selection of the contractor for the relocation of the road and new tunnel will follow, which is a prerequisite for the rehabilitation of the fortress.

- Tender launch is the responsibility of the Austrian Development Agency, which is in charge of the overall tender documentation. Therefore, after issuance of the construction permit, ADA will launch a tender for contractors which will be open for 60 days, in line with the European procedure – Pajkic explains.

As it has been proscribed in the contract, all permits must be obtained until New Year and all contracts with contractors should be signed by June 27, 2014.

- If our responsible ministries are up-to-date, the Austrian Development Agency could release a tender for the selection of a contractor before the deadline, i.e. before December 31. In that case, we could start the works in the beginning of the new construction season, in March 2014 – our collocutor is optimistic.

Rehabilitation of the fortress after traffic artery relocation

In order to start the fortress rehabilitation, it is essential to relocate the road which runs through the fortress and where some 600 vehicles pass on daily basis, which significantly damages this cultural monument.

Amphitheatre

- Before the beginning of the reconstruction, a bypass around the fortress, at the Djerdap main road section, will be constructed, 700 meters long. After that, a tunnel, 190 meters long will be built and thus the existing traffic artery will be relocated from the fortress – Pajkic says, adding that current tunnels, after being excluded from the traffic, will be turned into club restaurants.

Within these infrastructure works, a construction of the cycling paths of 400 meters was also planned. The project implies revitalization of another four units, for which licenses have already been obtained.

-All ten towers of the Golubac fortress will be reconstructed. We will build and amphitheatre here with 250 places, docks for cruisers, a visitor center, and restaurants – Pajkic points out.

The Golubac fortress rehabilitation project totals EUR 6, 5 mil and the funds were provided through the IPA project for “Socio-economic development for the Danube region development”. The works should last for two and a half to three years.

(Visitor center)

Swimming pool, restaurants, bungalows…

The second stage of the project, in the part between the visitor center and the fortress, a construction of the swimming pool with filtered Danube water has been planned while the coastal area will be developed for water sports.

At the nearby old quarry, a large amphitheatre with 3.000 places will be built. Apart from that, painters’ and ceramics ateliers will be placed in a six-floor building.

At the slope overlooking the Danube, medieval architecture-like bungalows will be built. The construction of the Fisherman’s village was also planned and it would include marines for boats and small vessels, a fish and ethno restaurants as well as a facility for guests’ accommodation.

- IPA program did not provide funds for these projects so when the time comes, we will look for the investors through public-private – partnership – a collocutor of eKapija says.

Annual turnover of EUR 2, 5 mil

A month ago, joint venture, Golubacki grad, was set up with state-owned capital of 80% and the remaining municipal 20%. The company will manage the project implementation and the complex.

- The Feasibility Study implies an annual turnover of the company of EUR 2,5 while the expected profit totals half a million euro and the maintenance and management costs of the complex would total EUR 764.880 EUR –Pajkic explains.

I.M.

Only logged-in users can comment.