German discount chain, Lidl, bought land in Belgrade for the construction of a supermarket, eKapija finds out at the company branch office.
However, Lidl representatives did not want to reveal where in the capital the shop will be.
- We confirm that we bought land in Belgrade, We would like to stress out that we have excellent cooperation with local self governance in Serbia which provide us all necessary support and aim at finishing all bureaucratic issues as fast as possible – eKapija was told in Lidl.
Apart from the capital, German company has bought land in Valjevo,Subotica, Novi Sad, Zrenjanin, Nis and Smederevo.
The contract for the lot in Nis was the last one. More precisely, members of the city assembly of Nis at the meeting held in early August adopted a decision that land at the place of former Apelovac barracks should be let to trading company Lidl for the supermarket construction. Last year, Lidl bought a lot of 1 ha on Vizantijski bulevar street in that city and as representatives of the city administration announce, the German company is interested in the third location in Nis as well.
In April, Lidl bought a lot in Smederevo, in industrial zone, immediately next to Idea mega market which will get competition. Smedervo-based private trading company sold a lot to Lidl.
Last year in Valjevo, hypermarkets Roda and Interex opened but that did not influence German company in the process of purchasing land in a town at the Kolubara. In 2012, Lidl secured a lot for supermarket in Zrenjanin at the bus station and in Subotica at the route to Palic. After estimating a couple of lots in Novi Sad, Lidl won at the auction an attractive lot in Bulevar Vojvode Stepe.
Cacak, Kragujevac and Kikinda were announcing arrival of Lidl but there is no confirmation on the lot purchases in these cities.
- When it comes to Serbia, we bought land in Valjevo, Subotica,Novi Sad, Zrenjanin, Nis and Smederevo. As for other cities, we cannot give more details but we can say we are actively working on land purchase – our portal found out at the German company.
Since in Novi Sad there are rumors that Lidl is looking for staff, we asked for information when the recruitment process will take place.
- We are still not looking for the staff. Information on vacancies will be published in daily newspapers and Internet job portals so that the interested will be informed and able to apply. Opening of Lidl branch offices in Serbia will provide new vacancies not only in Belgrade but in other cities Lidl will operate in as well as healthy trade competition – Lidl staff mentions.
Lidl is breaking into the new market by providing locations first and then opening larger number of stores.
Although authorities of local self-governance where the chain bought construction land were announcing opening of the supermarket by the end of 2013, Lidl staff does not want to talk about deadlines.
- As for future branch offices openings, we cannot reveal exact data at the moment- the Lidl staff says.
As we found out, the supermarket construction has not started yet in any of the cities where land was purchased, not even in Belgrade.
- We do not have information on who, where and what will be built until a request for some procedures is submitted to the secretariat, which also refers to Lidl in Belgrade. As for now, we do not have specific requests or they are not under that investor’s name - Milan Vukovic, secretary at the Secretariat for Urban Planning and Construction Affairs Belgrade said.
Detailed requests of Lidl for Serbia
When it comes to location selection, they are focused on frequent places with good visibility and good traffic and technical connections.
They are looking for adequate real estate to purchase or lease all around Serbia and the most optimal are populated places with 30.000 people or more.
They need constructed and undeveloped with an area from 5.500to 10.000 m2. Lidl sales area totals 800-1.300 m2, with additional 200-650 m2 for storage and auxiliary offices. They need 80 to 150 places per shop.
Also, they need convenient solution for goods delivery for trucks with trailers with total weight of up to 40 tons and 18,5 meters long.