Although the ink on an agreement signed with Germany's Muehlbauer has not dried yet, people in Stara Pazova already announce the arrival of new foreign and domestic investors. Stara Pazova Mayor Goran Jovic speaks in an interview for eKapija about the interest expressed by Austria's Roses Outlet and Germany's Lidl market chain in investing in this municipality in Srem, about the construction of an intermodal logistics center, as well as about new forms of cooperation between businessmen and the municipality.
- We have business and economy databases that are updated on a regular basis, and we are close to finish the categorization of activities of all entrepreneurs and businessmen so one can very easily gain access to the list of enterprises sorted by categories. We also plan to enable categorization by exact product. All data and other information about the municipality's economy are transparent on the new municipal Business Portal - www.biznis.starapazova.eu.
Also, we have formed a club of businessmen of Stara Pazova, which holds regular meetings where we try to find solutions to certain problems experienced by businessmen and to come up with some new ideas important for business operations in the municipality.
eKapija: Stara Pazova, primarily its industrial zone, has attracted many investors. What are the main advantages of your municipality over the others in Serbia?
- The crucial advantage of the municipality of Stara Pazova is its geostrategic position, which is the fact that gives us priority in this competition. The investors and numerous brands that are present in our municipality are the best proof of our advantages over other municipalities in Serbia.
eKapija: What special benefits has Stara Pazova prepared for investors?
- Key reasons to invest in our municipality are the following: the presence of the number of investors who have already decided to invest in Stara Pazova, numerous small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as stores that represent a significant support to the economic development of industrial zones, tax reliefs on the tax on registered property, etc. Of course, we should not forget the exceptional strategic position for the development of the economy and the vicinity of main routes, two highways (E-70 and E-75), and Serbia's two largest cities - Belgrade and Novi Sad.
eKapija: You have announced the construction of a new 90-hectare industrial zone alongside Belgrade-Novi Sad highway. In which phase is that project now? How many companies do you expect to enter that industrial zone?
- This industrial zone is very attractive and we have just finished the transformation of agricultural land into building land. The next is to make a detailed regulation plan and equip the zone with public utilities and infrastructure. There are already certain interested investors so that the negotiations will follow soon. What I want to stress is that this zone will include about 20 hectares for local businessmen who have a potential for further development and the employment of new workers.
eKapija: The Swedish vehicle and engine manufacturer Scania plans to build its showroom and repair complex in the industrial zone Krnjasevci in Stara Pazova. How important for the municipality is the fact that growing number of foreign companies start production in Stara Pazova?
- Of course it is important that we attract a growing number of foreign companies because, in addition to creating new jobs, such companies also introduce a new culture of operations and corporate identity. In that way, our companies also enter the circle of better business environment.
eKapija: Have some other foreign companies also announced the opening of their plants on the territory of Stara Pazova?
- The interest in our municipality has been increased lately, but the last agreement was signed with Germany's Muehlbauer, which plans to create 100 new jobs in the first phase, 80 percent of which should be given to people with a university degree. I would also like to mention a big interest expressed by Austria's Roses Outlet and Germany's Lidl market chain.
eKapija: The territory of the municipality includes 24 kilometers of the Danube river. Does the municipality have any unused resources in the tourism sector?
- Aside from economic potentials, our municipality also has clear potentials for the development of tourism, especially in the fields of navigation and river tourism. However, an interesting fact is that the opening of the national House of Football created all conditions for the development of conference tourism because, in addition to excellent accommodation capacities, that complex also includes one small and one large and modern conference hall. For that purpose, the vicinity of a highway and an airport represents a crucial element for development.
eKapija: Serbian Railways should get a EUR 150 million loan from the European Investment Bank for the construction of Stara Pazova-Novi Sad railway. How much is that railway important for the municipality?
- Such railway on this route will improve the life of people in our municipality and create a new potential for the development of the economy because one of the channels of distribution and logistics of many companies will be improved in that way. At this moment I can say that a local company has already expressed interest in building a logistics center with a multimodal-intermodal railway terminal, and I can add that this investment will be of regional importance for the current and future economy.