The company LKW WALTER
was founded in 1924 as a private, family company. Today, after nearly 100 years of successful operations, they are a leading European transport company for full truck transport. Their staff consists of 1,507 employees from 40 countries who speak a total of 39 languages. This large, but compact company is still 100% privately owned by the founding family and operates from two locations (Wiener Neudorf near Vienna and Kufstein in the Austrian state of Tyrol).
We talked to Nikola Rubil, Senior Sales Manager at LKW WALTER, about the business results, reasons for the success, but also the advantages of the company’s intermodal transport solutions. Also, sustainable development and environmental protection make up an important segment of their business, which, among other things, they carry out through their “GREEN Transport” brand.
– We attribute our success mostly to our centralized organization and simple structures within the company. I believe that, in the times of constantly growing business, the success of our company depends to a great extent to our ability to respond quickly and efficiently to the changes and oscillations in the market and to be the kind of a partner to our clients that will provide the optimal solution for the client’s individual needs at any moment.In which markets do you operate? What country is the most oriented to facilitating the business of transport companies?
– LKW WALTER operates in all of Europe, Russia, Central Asia, Middle East and Northern Africa. On average, we carry out 6,000 full transport jobs each day – of which, at the moment, slightly more than 500 a week to and from Serbia. It is indisputable that business operations differ between the countries, but in these nearly 100 years of operations, we have gone through many changes, from various regulations, the opening of the borders in the European Union, economic crises, rises and falls in industries etc. Each change was a challenge in itself, but we have always been able to quickly and efficiently take the necessary measures and grow into one of the largest private transport companies in Europe. The motto that drives us forward is “Panta Rhei”, because we are aware that changes have always been and will always be necessary. To go back to the last question, each country, within its possibilities, is working on facilitating operations for transport companies and adapting to the current circumstances. Changes require time and I believe that this is the true indicator of the efficiency of any country.What has been the biggest challenge to the business since the beginning of this challenging year?
– COVID-19 has marked this year and, all things considered, it will also mark the first half of the next year. Due to the instability of the market, delays on roads, the closing of the borders, we have truly been exposed to great challenges. All these circumstances that we met with practically overnight have confirmed once again the kind of advantage that we in fact have thanks to our widespread network in combined transport and our modern fleet of, currently, 11,000 semi-trailers. Thanks to this fleet for intermodal transport, we have managed to respond to the demands of the increased demand for transport during the pandemic. In addition to this, still current, topic, the trends of digitalization will certainly largely mark this year – a field in which LKW WALTER has been investing funds and knowledge for a long time. Digitalization has changed not just everyday communication, but the business as well. My conclusion is that, if 2020 is considered a year of the crisis, to us it has certainly brought a lot of good changes too.How satisfied are you with the results you’ve achieved?
– This year, our clients have entrusted us with a much larger number of transport jobs compared to last year. So, we are more than satisfied with the results we’ve achieved and I am convinced that this growing trend will continue in the upcoming year as well. I would add that, considering that numerous readers from Serbia follow us, we have a clearly defined goal for 2021 to increase our share in the market of Serbia when it comes to FTL – full truck load shipping.What sets you apart from the competition?
– What certainly sets LKW WALTER apart is our narrow specialization in freight truck transport and our sector division by markets. It enables us to adapt our activities in each individual market to the specific demands and criteria of our clients, but also to individual local regulations etc. For example, there are our transport managers, with whom our clients always communicate directly. They are well familiar with the individual requests of every client and have direct contact with the drivers. Communication with our ordering parties, forwarders, drivers and other participants in the transport process is always done in the local language in all countries we operate in, which provides invaluable help in avoiding misunderstandings and accelerates the traffic. I believe that, as the leading transport company, we are unique in Europe when it comes to flexibility and adaptability.