Each summer, Salzburg turns into a large stage and the city of 150,000 people becomes the cultural center of the world, attracting more than 250,000 aficionados of culture and music. The most important music festival in Mozart’s birthplace celebrates its 100th anniversary next year.
This fact served as inspiration for Lonely Planet in assembling a list of cities to visit in 2020.
The criteria included the unique experiences available in these cities and a certain wow factor.
Washington, where something new is happening all the time, Cairo, where the world’s largest museum is to open next year, Galway, the Irish city of culture, and the former Western German capital of Bonn, which has reappeared on tourists’ radar, are in the top five.
The list of cities to visit in 2020:
1. Salzburg, Austria - a Europan classic
2. Washington, USA - a renaissance of important museums and green areas
3. Cairo, Egypt - a paradise for history fans
4. Galway, Ireland - bohemian charm and creative events
5. Bonn, Germany - the place to celebrate Beethoven’s 250th birthday
6. La Paz, Bolivia - a combination of tradition and modern technologies
7. Kochi, India - a colonial pearl rich with beautiful nature
8. Vancouver, Canada - a gorgeous mixture of nature and urban areas
9. Dubai, UAE - the place where the future lives
10. Denver, Colorado, USA - an oasis of great energy and food