Source: eKapija | Sunday, 30.07.2017.| 18:18
Highlight an article Print out the news

Project of revitalization of navigation lock on HPP Djerdap 1 begins – Capacity of 9,735 boats per year to be reached by 2046

Djerdap navigation lock
Djerdap navigation lock (Photo: Katarina Stevanović)
The selection of the designer for the preparation of technical documentation, currently carried out by Elektroprivreda Srbije (EPS), marks the beginning of the realization of the project of adaptation of the navigation lock within the Hydro Power Plant Djerdap 1 system, eKapija learns at the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure.

The revitalization of this navigation lock, upon which unobstructed water transport in Europe depends, will enable the number of boats served per year to increase from the current 6,313 to 9,735 by 2046.

The ministry has secured a grant for hiring professional consultants, who will prepare the tender documentation for the contractor and the environmental impact assessment by March 2018. The tender for contactors and consultants for supervision of the works is expected to take place in the second half of 2018, the ministry announced.

Let us remind that the European Commission has approved the financing of this project, worth EUR 28.5 million, at the proposal of the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure. The EU will provide 40%, that is, around EUR 11.5 million, whereas the remaining 60% of the cost of the works, that is, EUR 17 million, will be provided from the budget of Serbia over the next three years (2018-2020).

The first round of consultations regarding a draft agreement on the awarding of the grants for the realization of this project between the EC and a joint delegation of the said ministry and EPS should be held this August, whereas the signing of the agreement is planned for October 28, 2017.

(Photo: Katarina Stevanović)
The competent ministry says for eKapija that the works would last from November 2018 till December 2020.

Among other things, the works entail the reconstruction of electro-hydraulic door, gate and crane runway systems, replacement and reconstruction of hydromechanical equipment, civil engineering and architectural works on the command tower and technological rooms and the works on the reconstruction of cable and pipe canals along the lock’s chambers. Furthermore, the plan is to reconstruct the traffic light signalization, the systems of heating and air-conditioning in the underground rooms and the command tower, external and internal lighting...

– This is an all-encompassing, integral revitalization of the entire system of the navigation lock, which is supposed to extend the life cycle of an irreplaceable part of the river transport infrastructure on the Danube – the ministry said for our portal.

Extension of life cycle by 25 years

The navigation lock within HPP Djerdap 1 will be updated through this project, and its life cycle will be extended by 25 years.

As the competent ministry notes, the cost-volume-profit analysis of the adaptation and the modernization has shown that, without the realization of the project and the replacement of the outdated equipment, the number of operations per year would gradually drop from the current 1,426 operations (6,313 boats) to only 608 operations (2,691 boats) in the 2018-2046 period.

On the other hand, they say, it has been determined that the realization of the project will lead to an increase in the number of operations per year in the same period from 1,426 (6,313 boats) to 2,198 (9,735) in 2046. It should also be kept in mind that the lock will not be operational during 2019, when the realization of the majority of the planned works is expected to take place, the ministry says.


Only logged-in users can comment.