The Ministry of Mining and Energy has started carrying out the first project financed by EU within the so-called decentralized governance system, in which projects are carried out within the state institutions and under control of the EU Delegation in Serbia.
The project in question is the preparation of the mining waste register, carried out to the end of helping Serbia bring its legislature in line with the EU environmental acquis. The investment value of the project amounts to EUR 2.1 million, of which 90% as EU aid, whereas the remaining 10% is provided by Serbia.
The German company PLEJADES GmbH was selected at the tender for this project as a leader, and it will cooperate with another German company, DMT.
In the course of the implementation of the project over the next three years, a risk assessment characterization and classification of mining waste from around 200-250 mining deposit sites and around 200 active mines, as well as three case studies for three different types of mining waste will also be prepared.
It is expected for the awareness of the importance of managing mining waste to increase following the completion of the project. The project is also supposed to contribute to the reduction of the risk of environmental damage caused by inadequate management of this type of waste, the Press Service of the Ministry of Mining and Energy reported.