The construction of Zezelj Bridge in Novi Sad should be completed by the end of next year, it was said on Tuesday, September 6, during the tour of the construction site.
The president of the provincial government, Igor Mirovic, said that he was not satisfied with the way that the project had been run from the very beginning and pointed out that the arrival of the European commissioner for transport, Violeta Bulc, would mark a great shift in the manner and pace of implementation of that important project.
Mirovic emphasized that Vojvodina was fully prepared to support the pace of the works financially and fulfill its obligations.
– We can see now that the construction site has already been improved and organized better and we believe that deadlines will no longer be overstepped and that, at the end of next year, Zezelj Bridge will have been completed and the current prefabricated bridge, which has served its purpose, but will not be needed any longer, disassembled – Mirovic said.
Minister of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure Zorana Mihajlovic said that she hoped that the bridge would open for railroad traffic as soon as late 2017, and then for road traffic as well.
She pointed out that the cooperation between the City of Novi Sad, the provincial authorities and the Republic of Serbia on the realization of the project could have been better in the previous period, but that it was much better at the moment and that they communicated daily.
She reminded that it had been agreed at a recent meeting in Belgrade that a work group should be formed for the purpose of handling capital projects, among which were the construction of the bridge and the Fruska Gora corridor.
– I hope that the realization of the Fruska Gora corridor will be as quick as possible. The documentation is already being prepared, we're considering the sources of finance and I believe that all these trucks and construction machinery will be able to go down the corridor as soon as possible – Mihajlovic pointed out.