The bridge connecting Zemun and Borca, along with access roads 10 kilometers long, was opened to traffic late last year
, which secured it the first place
on eKapija's ranking list. Popularly called "Chinese", this bridge across the Danube, named after famous Serbian scientist Mihajlo Pupin, was built by the Chinese company China Road and Bridge Corporation as the main contractor.
The new bridge is 1507 meters long, 29.1 meters wide and 22.8 meters tall, while the length of its main span is 362 meters. The bridge has a total of six traffic lanes and walking and cycling tracks on both sides of the bridge. Total value of this bridge with all access roads is around USD 260 million, 85 percent of which are covered from a loan granted by China's Exim Bank, while the remaining 15 percent are provided by the Republic of Serbia and the City of Belgrade.
First part of the project is done. The next thing to do is build another bridge across the Danube, near Vinca
. The route is already determined, and this big project deservedly ranks second
. The plan made by CIP Institute of Transportation covers two segments - highway and rail bypass around Belgrade. Current calculations say that this bridge will be much more expensive because the investment value of construction and planning, along with all indirect expenses that include administrative taxes, permits, expert supervision, etc., totals about EUR 470 million.
Last year we also found out how the new bus and railway station would look like.
This investment is ranked third
on our list. The new main bus station in New Belgrade will feature 15 incoming and 58 outcoming platforms, whereas the future main railway station will have a total of 8 platforms. The winning design that will serve as a basis for further development is a work by the team of authors of Proaspekt - Vladimir and Milan Lojanica. In addition to railway and bus stations, the future complex in New Belgrade will also include attractive office space. Once the project is fully completed, this part of the city should feature a total of 180,000 square meters of office space, while three 23-storey towers will give a special tone to this location.
The problem of parking in downtown Belgrade may soon be solved with the construction of four underground garages, the fourth-ranked investment
on our list. Garages will be built beneath Studentski trg Square, in Kosovska Street, near the National Library (in Skerliceva Street) and in the vicinity of Djeram market,
and this project is among those with the highest priority in Belgrade in the following period. As City Manager Goran Vasic announced, the first garage will be built at Studentski trg Square, where works are expected to commence either this year or early 2016.