The Regional Spatial Plan of the Timok region, adopted in July 2011, provides a framework for several significant projects in the field of transport. Here are the most interesting among them:
- Construction of a highway alongside the Timok development axis,
on the route Nis-Zajecar-Djerdap II hydroelectric power plant, in the broader area of the first-class road No. 25, for which a potential corridor is reserved in the Spatial Plan, as well as potential construction of an arm to Vidin and Corridor IV in the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Construction of the road No. 4 from Svilajnac to Bor,
as part of a transverse road across Serbia (the border with the Republic of Bosnia-Herzegovina near Mali Zvornik - Valjevo - Topola - Svilajnac - Bor - Zajecar, and farther toward the Republic of Bulgaria), thus creating the shortest link between the Timok region and Pan-European Corridor X;
- Improving the equipment and functionality of existing road border crossings Djerdap
I, Bregovo, and Vrska Cuka, and building new border crossings: with the Republic of Romania - on the first-class state road No. 25, Djerdap II
- Kusjak; with the Republic of Bulgaria - on the second-class state road No. 247a, Kadibogaz, and on the second-class state road No. 243, Sveti Nikola.
- Construction of a freight terminal on the border crossing Vrska Cuka, on the first-class state road No. 5.
- Reconstruction of railways Nis - Knjazevac -
Zajecar - Prahovo (No. 75) and Zajecar - Bor - Majdanpek - Pozarevac (No.
45) so they can support projected speeds, and their electrification if needed.
- Considering the justification of implementation of certain long-term strategies through the design of appropriate technical documentation on the level of the previous feasibility study, for the construction of the following: the railway section Port of Prahovo - Romania, via Djerdap II hydroelectric power plant; the railway section Negotin - Bulgarian border - Vidin, and reconstruction and modernization of the railway station in Zajecar, and opening of the new border railway station Negotin.
Development of river transport on the Danube, accompanying facilities on navigable waterways in particular: the port of Prahovo as an intermodal center (to satisfy the big needs of the Region, in addition to a bulk cargo terminal, terminals for general and liquid cargo will also be developed in the near future for the needs of the petroleum industry); docks in Donji Milanovac, Tekija and Kladovo for the needs of passenger transport and tourism, and other facilities (marinas, moorings, etc.); regulation of river border crossings, etc.
Aerodrom Bor airport
Modernization of airports, with the aim of increasing the competitiveness and attractiveness of the area for economic and tourism development: Aerodrom Bor airport - transfer of equipment from the old terminal of Nikola Tesla airport will make this airport capable of accepting certain domestic and international flights; Minicevo and Kobisnica - to be utilized (again) for the purposes of sports and agricultural flying and parachuting.
The possibility of construction of a small airport in the zone of Stara Planina mountain, in the location of Leskovo, will be considered in the near future.